CAMILLA. ruth, and all,

I cried when I say Cathy  Freeman holding the flame--
I cried when I saw Muhammad  Ali speaking with
eyes sealed.  THe Olympics raise so many emotions
in me.  I was the most valuable player on the first
INTEGRATED Univ. of the Witwatersrand
basketball team, in 1976, in Pietermaritzburg,
South AFrica.  I was carried on the sholulders
of my teammates, to be assisted to unhook the net as a trophy,
after the game ended.  We finished 5th, and the
moment of integration , and the struggle before
it, was overwhelming.  Our team defiantly and]
nervously sat together in the same railroad car,
breaking South African law, when we travelled
from Johannesburg.

Smiles,

Ivan
59/39/36

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:18:02 +1100 Ruth Rickell
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Hi Camilla,
>
> You got it right.  Basically there are some people within the
> Government that
> have apologised, but the Prime Minister John Howard will still not
> say those
> simple words "I'm Sorry".  We all have some parts of our history
> that we are not
> proud of, but this is a big step towards reconciliation.
>
> I felt very proud to be an Australian during the Opening Ceremony
> and when I
> realised it was Cathy to be the final person to light the flame,
> well I can't
> describe the feeling.  All the women who ran the final part of the
> relay in the
> stadium hold a very special place in the hearts of most Australians
> and we would
> have been equally proud if any of them had be chosen.
>

> best wishes to all
> Ruth Rickell, c/g for Betty 70/45
> Camilla Flintermann wrote:
> >
> > IVAN ET AL-- here's the scoop--no it was not M. Ali--but this
> eeems very
> > appropriate!
> > from the Excite home page___
> >
> >                 "In a ceremony that celebrated
> >                                     Australia's proud sporting
> heritage, as
> >                                     well as a desire for national
> >                                     reconciliation, aboriginal
> runner
> >                                     Cathy Freeman lighted the
> Olympic
> >                                     flame Friday to open the
> Sydney Games. "
> >
> > Australia is struggling to come to termawith the shameful
> kidnapping  of
> > Aboriginal children which went on for years in an attempt to wipe
> out their
> > culture.  This honor for her seems a step in the right direction,
> even
> > though the government apparently has never *apologized* for what
> was done !
> > (Do any Aussies want to correct this if I'm wrong?)
> >
> >         Camilla Flintermann               <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> >         On PDWebring at :
> > http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

> >          "You must *be* the change you wish to see in the world" -
> Gandhi

 Ivan Suzman        50/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)