Those of us who could access the url for this article in "USA Today" read
an article that revealed opinions of not only Michael J. Fox and Mary Tyler
Moore in favor of allowing stem cell research funding to be approved; but
also, opinions of those opposed to such funding.  An opponent,  Pastor
Russell Saltzman of Ruskin Heights Lutheran Church in Kansas City, MO said,
"If a cure for diabetes and a host of other ailments require the production
and destruction of human embryos, then I beg you to consider the
possibility that some diseases are better than their cure."

I have considered the possibility proposed by Saltzman, a diabetic, and my
conclusion is that in my own life, a cure for Parkinson's is much better
than living with the disease.  I would like Saltzman and any other person
who opposes stem cell research to consider the possibility that cured of
Parkinson's, juvenile diabetes, Alzheimer's or Lou Gehrig's there are a
large mass of human beings who can have a better, more productive life
because congress decides that scrapping excess embryos from invitro
fertilization is as wasteful and inhumane as not donating organs of
deceased individuals to save and improve the lives of human recipients.

Mr. Saltzman shouldn't decide what choices people with chronic illnesses
are allowed based on his own personal opinion.  He has the right to speak
his opinion.  I'm telling my congressmen/representatives that the
advantages to stem cell research are similar to any search for progress.
It's necessary to have a broad outlook of the possible future advantages.

Jeanette Fuhr 49/47/44?