Policy on ethical research stalled, Rock admits
U.S. decision to allow some embryo studies adds to pressure

 Mark Kennedy - Southam News

http://www.nationalpost.com/

OTTAWA, September 2, 2000 - Jurisdictional haggling between the federal
and provincial governments has delayed the creation of a
regulatory authority that would supervise fertility clinics and create
guidelines for scientific research on human
embryo cells, says Allan Rock, the Health Minister.

Mr. Rock acknowledged that the lack of guidelines has led to a policy
vacuum -- one that is more problematic in
the wake of the decision two weeks ago by Bill Clinton, the U.S.
President, to unveil new rules under which
embryonic research will be permitted in that country.

For three years, Mr. Rock has been promising legislation that would
govern the fertility trade and establish a regulatory body that would
set limits on the types of scientific research that are ethically
acceptable in Canada.

"I think it's obviously in everybody's interest to clarify the
situation," Mr. Rock said. "And that was our intention in proposing
legislation and we'll continue to pursue that avenue."

Mr. Rock had planned to establish a Reproductive Technologies Authority
that would either be at arm's length from government or be located
within Health Canada.

It would be modelled, in large part, on the British watchdog -- the
Human Fertilization and Embryology Authority -- which was established in
1991.

Mr. Rock said his department held consultations this spring with health
professionals, scientists and the provinces about the proposed federal
legislation and regulatory agency.

"There have been some issues raised by some provinces about
jurisdiction, about whether it should be more appropriately done
federally or provincially. We're in discussion with some of the parties
about that, and we have some choices to make."

Sources say the Quebec government, in particular, is hostile to the idea
of a federal reproductive technologies bill that it argues would
encroach on health-care delivery, which falls under provincial
jurisdiction. And while other provinces apparently do not mind the
regulatory agency falling within Health Canada's mandate, most health
professionals are lobbying Mr. Rock to make it quasi-independent.

Mr. Rock said he believes Canadians will understand that the delay in
taking action is because "these are complex issues" and it is "difficult
to get consensus between governments."

Time is running out on Mr. Rock if he intends to table legislation in
the current Parliament. It can often take months for a complex and
highly contentious bill to wade its way through both the House of
Commons and Senate, and an election is expected next spring.

The last time the Chrétien government came forward with reproductive
technologies legislation, it died on the order paper when the 1997
election was called and Parliament was dissolved.

Asked when he might unveil the long-promised successor to that failed
bill, Mr. Rock said: "I wouldn't hazard a date."

Although Mr. Rock has sound reasons to fill the policy void, there may
be political imperatives that compel the Liberal government to hold back
from entering the murky ethical area before the election. As much as
some experts are calling for clarity in the rules, taking action would
only draw criticism from some people -- such as anti-abortion groups --
who oppose all forms of embryo research.

That debate has been sparked by Mr. Clinton's Aug. 23 announcement, in
which he unveiled new guidelines that would allow scientists to conduct
federally funded research on human embryonic stem cells. These are
microscopic clusters of cells that are formed shortly after conception
and are capable of growing into virtually any cell, tissue or organ in
the human body.

Scientists believe stem cells could lead to groundbreaking treatments
for diseases from PARKINSON'S to diabetes.

Similarly, they say the cells could be used to grow new organs and
tissues for transplant and possibly even be used to help slow --
possibly reverse -- the process of ageing.
  Copyright © 2000 National Post Online

--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                        Today’s Research...