    From: Nina P. Brown <[log in to unmask]>
    To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
    Date: Sunday, September 17, 2000 1:13 AM
    Subject: COPE WITH HOPE

    Dear Chuck,
    I just turned it the following article to be printed in the Houston Area
    Parkinson Society newsletter and wanted to thank you again for allowing
    me to quote you for a perfect ending.
              COPE WITH HOPE

                  Nina Brown

     When I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease over fourteen
    years ago, I realized that living with a “progressive”
    disease was going to require continuing adjustments and
    accommodations through the years and that the word “cope”
    would hold new importance in my vocabulary.  I also
    recognized that the decision as to how I would cope was
    mine, as it is yours.  I chose to focus on the positive. I
    was not wrong 14 years ago.  Life is certainly more
    difficult for me now, but whatever the circumstances, I
    still feel a smile and a positive attitude make it easier to
    face the future.  I’m not suggesting a “don’t worry, be
    happy” attitude; but life should be looked at as an
    adventure to be lived rather than a problem to be solved.
    Perhaps some of the following suggestions will be helpful.

     Concentrate on the positive.  You may not have the ability
    to change what is happening to you, but you can change how
    you relate to it.  People generally find what they expect to
    find.  If you expect to feel bad, your body won’t disappoint
    you.  You will feel bad.  If you expect to feel good,
    there’s a greater possibility you will feel good.  Also
    examine the stories you tell yourself (and others) about
    your illness.  It is easier for family and friends to offer
    support to someone with an optimistic attitude.

     Parkinson’s has been described as a “yo-yo” disorder…one
    hour up, the next down; one day good, the next bad.  It
    helps to remember that one bad day is only one bad day.  It
    does not constitute a trend.  Assume tomorrow will be
    better.  Your mind can help heal your body when bolstered by
    hope and expectation according to studies on the “placebo
    response.”   Better symptom control lies not only with pills
    or surgery, but with ourselves as well.

     Acceptance.  Parkinson’s is just something I have…like
    brown eyes; so I refuse being referred to as a “patient”
    unless I’m in a doctor’s office.  Acceptance does not mean
    you need consider yourself “sick.”  Unlike having a headache
    though, Parkinson’s can be difficult to hide.  It’s easier
    not to try.  Be open with others.  I have found that people
    are interested in learning about the disease and are
    appreciative that you shared the information.  Rather than
    think of Parkinson’s as a problem, consider it a situation,
    a challenge, an opportunity.  You will be less anxious, less
    frustrated and less stressed, which will result in fewer
    symptoms.

     Become informed.  Knowledge is the first positive step
    toward being in control.  Be responsible for your own health
    care.  You know your body best.  It’s vitally important to
    read everything you can find!  Visit your library, request
    to be put on mailing lists for newsletters and medical
    updates, use the Internet and attend lectures.  You’ll
    better understand why symptoms occur which will allow you to
    know what questions to ask and how to properly describe the
    problem when you see your physician.  Find a doctor who has
    knowledge and experience in treating people with
    Parkinson’s.  One who is interested, patient, understanding,
    cooperative and willing to take the time to work with you.
    Your pharmacist is another good resource for information.
    Join a support group for valuable, shared, personal advice
    and support.

     Set achievable goals.  You may need to set new and more
    achievable goals because of the limitations Parkinson’s has
    placed on you.  It’s important to learn to pace yourself.
    When adapting to a less active schedule, there is a tendency
    to overdo when you feel good.  After a busy period, schedule
    activities that don’t require a lot of energy.  Have an
    alternative in case your symptoms require you to cancel a
    planned event.  Planning ahead gives you the flexibility to
    accomplish things when you feel good.  For instance, you can
    shop in advance for birthday and anniversary presents.
    Address cards ahead of time.

     Keep a sense of humor.  Laugh at yourself.  A laugh a day
    is more important than an apple in keeping the doctor away.
    When a chuckle would feel good, go to the closest drug store
    or card shop and tickle your funny bone by reading greeting
    cards.  A laugh is much better for your immune system than
    getting angry or frustrated.

     Simplify your life.  Learn to say “no” without feeling
    guilty.  Find easier ways to do things. Determine your
    priorities.  Eliminate the unnecessary.
    ? Call stores to make sure they have the item you need.
    ? Shop during off-hours to avoid crowds and lines.
    ? Get a disabled parking permit.
    ? Use stores that deliver or have drive-up facilities.
    ? Use a cordless telephone; keep a telephone by your bed;
    consider an automatic dialer and/or a speaker phone.
    ? Always carry extra medication with you.  Get a sports
    bottle to have water for taking pills.
    ? Keep a written schedule of your medication.  Buy a pill
    container that has a weeks worth of dividers.  This saves
    time and identifies if you’ve taken a particular dose.
    ? Get a timer to remind you when medication is due.
    ? Use stick-on labels or a pre-inked rubber stamp when you
    need to write your name or fill out forms.

     Keep active. Exercise, both mental and physical, is
    essential in maintaining your lifestyle.  It prevents your
    muscles from deteriorating, strengthens them, reduces
    tension and rigidity, improves your ability to rest and
    sleep and enhances other bodily functions.  Walking is one
    of the best exercises.  Choose activities that let you play.
    Take dancing lessons or enjoy some of the less strenuous
    sports such as golf, tai chi, bowling, horseshoes or
    swimming.  The more active you are, the longer it will be
    before you need physical, occupational or speech therapy.
    Exercise can be fun and HAPS offers many of these options.

     It’s also important to keep active socially.  Don’t allow
    yourself to become isolated.  Participate in our support
    groups to meet new people, develop new friendships and help
    avoid depression.  Instead of focusing on yourself, help
    someone in need.  It will get your mind off of yourself and
    you’ll remember how much you have to be thankful for.

     Have faith and never give up hope.  Reflect on the
    wonderful attitude of Charles Murray who wrote to the
    Parkinson’s list on the internet: “The way I look at it,
    living with PD is a bit like venturing into the Himalayas
    while most of our brothers and sisters travel less rugged
    slopes.  We can grumble about how steep and hazardous the
    climb…preoccupied with the expense of our climbing gear, the
    physical exhaustion and the fear as the slopes turn into
    shear walls of granite. Or, we can live in the moment and
    focus on appreciating the spectacular beauty found only in
    such imposing terrain.  No one can take this choice from
    us.”
     Have faith that with all the research being done, the hope
    of finding a cure appears closer than ever.  Actively
    working to help” find the cure” (by being an advocate) helps
    give me courage and energy.  I invite you to join me in
    working toward that day.