Ken - all of you are sure bringing back some memories.  When I was
growing up, we lived 3 miles from downtown of Houston.  At that time, we
were considered to live in the country.  We had a cow, chickens and a
great garden.   Now we are practically smack in the middle of
metropolitan Houston.   We lived a mile from the Lindale theater.  We
could get in there for 5 cents , and watch the weekly serials, and could
stay all day watching the movie over and over.. There was a drugstore
next door where we could get a hamburger, and chocolate malt for 50
cents.  What a treat that was for us kids,.
Back then, it was nothing for me to walk 3 miles to downtown.  There was
a theater on North Main, that was two miles and one in the Heights that
was three. So I had a great choice of going to
whichever one I pleased.  Walked to piano lessons, etc.  Now, I don't
even walk 5 blocks to the convenience store.  My how we change.  Best to
you.  Jo Ann