Greg's interview in his local paper, and the excellent editorial which it
produced, are a fine example of
our ability to raise public awareness.
Stem cell research is controversial, I believe, in part because people are
confused about the nature and potential of these cells.  It has been
pointed out a number of time here on PIEN that the cells used would be
"pluripotent" not "totipotent"--the difference being that  only the LATTER
kind (not the ones used)  actually have potential to produce a baby if
implanted in a womb.

Pluripotent cells, as I understand it, can develop into various kinds of
TISSUE but NOT into a baby.

That would seem to say that neither a "baby"  nor an "embryp" is being used
fpor this research, and to claim so is to be in error.

IF this is incorrect, somebody please explain why--- and if it is correct,
why isn't this point made more often?

      Camilla Flintermann             <[log in to unmask]>

On PDWebring at : http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

        "... Meet people where  they are  now,
                 not where you hope they might be........"
                --Christine Greenland