09 21 00……………………..Manhasset Press

BERNIE'S BANTER…………Bernard Klainberg

Professor Morrie:

A week or two ago, Jack Lemmon, a much beloved actor and human being, won an
Emmy for portraying the late and great professor Morrie Schwartz. The film
was based on the book , "Tuesdays with Morrie", a best seller written by a
former student who visited prof. Schwartz regularly as he lay dying of
ALS.("Lou Gehrig's disease")

In the 1980's we were privileged to meet Morrie several times as he was one
of our daughter's  favorite teachers at Brandeis University. Then, Danielle
saw Morrie on Mondays and Wednesdays. He imparted his knowledge and wisdom
with great enthusiasm, and was much loved by the students lucky enough to
attend his classes.

Dancing

Once, we met Morrie on the street in Cambridge, Ma., and he gleefully
related he was coming from his regular dancing class. Born in the Bronx, he
had been dancing since the l930's an activity he thoroughly enjoyed and
recommended.

When we knew him he was in his early seventies, and already having a few
problems swallowing and walking. The ALS debilitated and crippled him
rapidly. We last saw him at Danielle's graduation where he mingled and
interacted with the students and parents.

Wisdom of Morrie.

His inspirational wisdom is amply represented in his book, " Morrie, in his
own words ".He preached to live fully for the moment. Morrie said: "remember
always that 110 years from now, no one alive today will be around", and
"learn how to live, and you'll know how to die, and when you learn how to
die you will learn how to live".

As a fellow neurological sufferer one can empathize with his later
pronouncements on dealing with his devastating disease , using one's mind to
prevail over physical conditions. He said ,: "If I need a glass of water,
and no one is around to serve it to me and hold it while I struggle with the
straw, I will think on it, and come up with a rational interpretation on why
I don't really need it at this time ".

Nightline

About five years ago  and close to 80, he appeared on three special
"Nightline" shows with Ted Koppel. His activity  before dying was
predictable; to teach the ill to talk about and openly face their illnesses.
His message was also directed at the caretakers,  and close friends and
relatives.

His teachings paved the way for ordinary sufferers (and celebrities Michael
J. Fox ) ,to "come out of the closet" and face the struggle ahead. Michael
and Mary Tyler Moore have been testifying in Washington, demanding a strong
research program for Parkinson and Diabetes, and they have rejuvenated the
quest for a cure.

Marching for Morrie

And so, come Sunday September the 24th, we will again be in Central Park,
5th Ave. and 72 St. entrance, marching for a couple of miles, supporting the
eradication of Dr. Parkinson's legacy.

Humor
To cope with his ailment Morrie surrounded himself with humor. He watched
the wackiest comedies , had hilarious books read to him, and looked for
jocularity in any situation. Morrie's other resolve was to continue writing,
and he did so till he was totally incapacitated.

Work we got plenty of, insofar as  humor is concerned,  we are  fortunate
this year to have the approaching  national and local elections to mock. It
should be easy to revel in worthwhile, controversial fun., politicians are
such clowns.  We hope that along the way some will laugh with us or be
insulted or at least annoyed.

Item:
Buchanan,(he of the bulldog visage, and renegade Republican )had
problems getting a good vice presidential candidate. Buchanan declares often
he "wants to rein in the Washington administration, and put Government on a
leash". Well ,he can have my dog to run with him, Jeb the  nutty Westie ,
aka  Attila. He has been acting demented lately and would be right at home
with Buchanan.