hi all

yesterday i posted the medical abstract:
PMID: 10904882: Importance of treatment of depression in
assuring the most efficacious management of Parkinson's disease;
which referred to:
"ROS"
and then gail vass asked me a simple question:
"what is it?"

so then i went digging and found [posting separately]:

PMID: 10785444: GDNF and NT-4 protect dopaminergic neurons from toxic damage
PMID: 10820189: Dopamine-induced cell death, oxidative stress, and cyanide
PMID: 10837719: A novel chemical delivery system for brain targeting
PMID: 10864903: Manganese increases L-DOPA auto-oxidation in rat:
implications for PD
PMID: 10931172: Glutathione, oxidative stress and neurodegeneration
PMID: 10991671: Influence of neurotoxins and oxidative stress on PD

it appears to me that the phrase "free radical scavenger" or [?] "FRS"
has been [?] replaced by the phrase "radical oxygen species" or "ROS"

in plain jain terms:
anti-oxidants for brain cells are good;
oxidation in brain cells is bad;
FRS and/or ROS are really bad

N.B. please, to the chemically inclined, correct me if i've got this wrong!

aside from the terminology clarification,
these PMID abstracts [variously from germany, japan, usa, italy, uk]
were interesting to me due to their conclusions;

"... the neurotrophic factors ... protected these neurons
from ... apoptosis [cell death] ..."

"... these findings underscore the[ir] importance ...
in designing future therapeutical concepts for PD"

"... these results suggest that [L-DOPA] neurotoxicity ... involves both ROS
and ... oxidative stress as an initiator of apoptosis [cell death] ... "

"... these findings suggest that ... chemical approaches will contribute
to the development of new central nervous system drugs ..."

" ... these results may be of relevance to the L-DOPA long-term therapy
of Parkinson's disease ... "

" ... glutathione is an important antioxidant ... "

" ... other treatment options ... glutathione analogs, mimetics
or precursors are discussed ... "

" ... oxidative stress is ... involved in neurodegeneration ...
unlikely to be the initiating event ... the search for this event will
continue ... "

imho
the current scope of
the international [and virtually instant] sharing of the findings, and
the molecular/cellular detail in the work being done,
is primarily due to the techno/cyber revolution
that we are all now a part of

ten years ago ...
who'da thunkit?

janet
in my 16th year since onset
and can't wait for the next 16!

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada