GDNF and NT-4 protect midbrain dopaminergic neurons from toxic damage by
iron and nitric oxide.

Free radical formation is considered to be a major cause of dopaminergic
(DAergic) cell death in the substantia nigra leading to Parkinson's disease
(PD).

In this study we employed several radical donors including iron and sodium
nitroprusside to induce toxic effects on DAergic neurons cultured from the
embryonic rat midbrain floor.

Overall cell survival was assessed by assaying LDH, and DAergic neuron
survival was monitored by counting tyrosine hydroxylase-positive cells.

Our data suggest that the DAergic neuron population is about fourfold more
susceptible to free-radical-mediated damage than the total population of
midbrain neurons.

Application of the neurotrophic factors GDNF and NT-4, for which DAergic
neurons have specific receptors, prior to toxin administration protected
these neurons from toxin-mediated death, which, fully or in part, occurs
under the signs of apoptosis.

These findings underscore the importance of GDNF and NT-4 in designing
future therapeutical concepts for PD.

Copyright 2000 Academic Press.

Exp Neurol 2000 May;163(1):55-62
Lingor P, Unsicker K, Krieglstein K
Neuroanatomy, University of Heidelberg, INF 307, Heidelberg, D-69120, Germany.
PMID: 10785444, UI: 20249075

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list
_uids=10785444&dopt=Abstract

janet paterson
53 now / 44 dx cd / 43 onset cd / 41 dx pd / 37 onset pd
TEL: 613 256 8340 URL: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] SMAIL: PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario K0A 1A0 Canada