It was pointed out to us at the MJF Foundation forum this past June that stem
cells would be useful in fighting other ailments than PD - or neurological
diseases in general.  Specifically mentioned, I remember, was heart disease.

Sorry, list, but as far as number of people affected, we're small potatoes
compared to these people.  The number of people who have heart disease, who
have a family member with heart disease, who have had a close relative die from
heart disease, whose doctors feel they are candidates for heart disease, etc.,
is many times the number affected by PD.  What is this group doing to further
stem cell research?

The principle under which PAN used to operate (and to a goodly extent still
does) was that they used their limited funds to get the U. S. Government to
spend money on projects many times that amount.  I called it "amplifying" their
money, as the output of money spent on Parkinson research as a result of PAN
efforts was so much greater than the money input to PAN.

We have a similar situation here, perhaps.  We can all write and call and fax
and e-mail our Senators and Representatives until we're blue in the face.  Or
we can explain to our friends at risk or with family at risk for heart disease
how important stem cell research is to them - and get ten or twenty new people
to write their Senators and Representatives.

It seems to me as though the upcoming election in the United States could be a
one-issue election for many of us:  Gore favors funding stem cell research;
Bush straddles the lines, at best.  But if Bush were to favor stem cell
research and Gore be against it, Bush would get my vote.  Ditto for Senator and
Representative and other races in the election.  Only if the candidates were to
substantially agree on stem cell research would I look at the rest of their
platform.

If more people become aware of the potential of stem cell research, it would
help.  If they let it be known that they too consider this to be a single issue
election and that stem cells are that issue, it might change the attitudes and
positions of our candidates.  More important yet, it could affect the results
of our election.

There are so many people with so much in their lives to be gained from stem
cell research - and what do they know about it?  It would seem to be a good
time to help our allies to spread the word about the potential of stem cells to
their constituent groups.  This could be another example of "amplification" of
our efforts.

What are our Parkinson's institutions and foundations doing about it?

What tools do we have at our disposal specifically for this task?

How can we work together to do something about it?

Any ideas?

Art