Date sent:              Sat, 23 Sep 2000 12:02:05 -0700
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Rick Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                PD, Divorce, and child custody
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> How does one convince a court or anyone else that as a PWP that I can
> manage my illness and that just because there are times when I refuse
> to drive should not infer that I cannot drive?
>
> Are there any advocacy groups out there who might be helpful?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Rick,

I am heavily involved in several political action groups here in
California which are dedicated towards reform of the horrible family
law system.  What state are you in?  Do you have a good attorney?

Most of us who have been in this situation (trying to get equal
custody of our kids) have been treated in similar fashion (even though
we are not PWP).  Judges in family law cases have dictatorial powers
and that is what we are trying to change.  In the meantime, there might
be some value to investigate the ADA to see if it might be usable in
your case.

Get back to me.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"