Dear Listfriends,

Here is a draft of letter I am going to send to the editors of my local
newspapers to educate and persuade on this issue, and I thought
I'd post it here to get suggestions and to possibly serve as a
sample.  I hope we will do lots of letter writing, and, in case anyone
uses mine for inspiration, please let me know how you improved it
in the process!

Dear Editor,

I am one of the millions of Americans who suffer from a fatal or
debilitating disease such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease,
arthritis, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, and osteoporosis.
In recent years scientists have been studying the use of embryonic
stem cells to find a cure for these and other conditions, and the
results of their studies are so far very promising.

The cells are called stem cells because they have not yet
branched out to take on the features of particular tissue types,
such as nerve, bone or muscle.  Studies have shown that when
stem cells are injected into tissue of a specific type, they can be
made to reproduce and take on the features of their surroundings.
Thus stem cells offer the possibility of providing a replacement for
tissue lost due to disease.

Embryonic stem cells are extracted from early stage embryos that
are excess byproducts of infertility treatment.  If these embryos are
not donated to research, they will be simply disposed of.

The National Institutes of Health have published guidelines which
ensure that the embryos from which stem cells are extracted with
government funding are created for no other purpose than to treat
infertility.  The guidelines also prevent creating embryos for profit or
for use by designated recipients.  Donation requires the informed
consent of the donors.

Critics of stem cell research contend that this use of excess
embryos is immoral and unnecessary.  Immoral, because in the
process of extracting stem cells the embryos are destroyed.
Unnecessary, because there are adult stem cells which will, they
allege, serve equally well.  I believe that these critics are mistaken
on both points, and they are mistaken in their rejection of an
extremely promising form of medical treatment as well.

Extraction of stem cells is not the violation of human life that the
critics contend it to be.  The embryos from which the cells are
extracted are developmentally less than one week old.  They have
not been and will not be implanted in a woman's uterus.  They are
not on the way to becoming an infant.  They have no nerves,
muscles, or cartilege, no circulatory or digestive system, no heart,
no lungs, no sense organs, no awareness of anything harmful, no
mental processes of any type at all. They consist of groups of no
more than 100 cells which under a microscope look like a round
glob.  It is a great distortion to describe them as "people",
"children", or "babies".

The critics note that stem cells have been shown to exist in adults,
and they contend that using adult stem cells will suffice.  But
researchers of adult stem cells believe that the versatility of adult
stem cells is rather limited by comparison, and that it is too early
to say what their ultimate potential relative to embryonic stem cells
will be.  Also, it may be a considerable problem to extract the
desired stem cells from adults.

To use embryonic stem cells in medical research and treatment
rather than to merely dispose of them would greatly enhance their
value.  There are politicians and clergymen who oppose stem cell
research and treatment.  The political opposition happens to
include presidential candidate George W. Bush and many
Republican congressional members or candidates.  What a crime
it would be to sacrifice the health of millions of Americans to the
views of a vocal minority.

Phil Tompkins