I will not be at the Unity Walk  in person this year but, I do have a few
thoughts I'd like to share:

It is growing, it is gaining momentum.  I first sensed its presence many
years ago when Joan Samuelson spoke the words "invisible no more" to an
eclectic group of rag tag advocates.  We were naive enough to think we could
increase NIH funding for PD research just as the newly elected Republican
controlled Congress was cutting spending everywhere.  Paul Wellstone has
given us glimpses of its strength in his fiery speeches.  Michael J. Fox has
given it unimaginable visibility.  Mary Yost epitomized its resolve and
persistence as she crossed the finish line of last years L A Marathon
wearing the TEAM PARKINSON jersey.  Lets us all rally under the banner TEAM
PARKINSON for that is what we are and must be if we are to achieve the CURE
we so desperately seek as soon as possible.

TEAM PARKINSON is more than an entry in a walk or race.  It is that power we
feel when we join together.  Those fortunate enough to have gone to a Public
Policy Forum, a Unity Walk or the LA Marathon have felt Its power.  We have
seen what can be accomplished if we all pull together toward a common goal -
the thought to be impossible, passing the Udall Bill.  Our success has been
monumental.  The funding we have put in place will cure PD.  The question is
no longer if, but when.  There is another question.  Will it be in time to
help those who pounded the halls of Congress, the people who have PD now?
That is our motivation to be part of the team.  Our role is to put a human
face on this dread disease, to convey our sense of urgency to others, to
motivate others to join TEAM PARKINSON, to share our urgency.

TEAM PARKINSON is a group, a spirit, that willingly places the goal of
curing PD ahead of
individual goals.  It is the banner under which all who battle this disease
may rally.  It is the researchers, the advocates, the politicians and the
people with Parkinson's.  It is an elite team with only one requirement for
participation: the pledge to put curing PD as the first priority.