Sue -

You stated the cause of loneliness very well.  I was trying to think of words
to describe why our world becomes more constricted with the progression of
the disease.  I can tell you that the loneliness comes to caregivers, too,
and for precisely the same reason. - others can't walk in our shoes.  Thank
goodness for the friends who still try to hang in there with us.

There are others who assume they know enough about the disease to advise us
on how we should think, act, and feel - relatives as well as friends.  As the
disease takes more of a toll on our lives, the stresses are enough that I've
chosen to see less of those people.  I'll stick with those who care enough to
listen and observe nonjudgmentally rather than offer advice and platitudes.

Margie Swindler, cg for Dick, 55/18

         >> Loneliness, I think, comes with knowing that the people around us,
 no matter how kind, cannot walk in our shoes.  So we feel alone in our skin.
 Still, we can take all the kindness we can get (and try to give it back).
And
 when that's not enough, we have each other to "talk" to.  And we DO
understand
 what those shoes feel like.  WE (this group) really are in this together and
 for that I am so grateful. >>