The mark of an intelligent and centered person is that he/she recognizes
that there can be opposing views, each with validity.  It may be that one
position is no more correct than the other--just a matter of personal
preference often born out of personal experience or lack thereof.

The mature person does not feel the need to persuade others to his/her
position by hurling ugly statements--often emotional and not based on
fact--at the opposing position or implying that someone is ignorant, evil,
or sinful for not believing as he does.  In reality, many of our positions
are emotion based and no amount of persuasion, unpleasant name calling or
educated reasoning will change minds or positions.

Perhaps the best approach in political positions is to recognize that there
are many points of view.  We can best participate in the political process
by being informed and active for good causes.  We may be doing ourselves a
disservice, showing our own weaknesses in public, by figuratively throwing
rocks at those with a different view.  Perhaps it is a childhood play yard
tactic of getting ones own way that has not been replaced by grown-up
problem solving techniques.  It seems to me much better to work
cooperatively together to build consensus in solving problems.