In a message dated 9/24/00 10:50:24 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< You just made me think of the old ice boxes and the ice man who delivered
 his freezing block every two or three days. >>

Edith,
You brought back old memories with this one.  My Mother is from Maxton and
when I was little we'd visit in the summer.  My Grandmother had an old ice
box that required the big ice blocks and it was delivered by the iceman,
whose name was Oscar and for some reason I seem to remember that he only had
one hand.  (I have to check the paper or the calendar to see what the date is
but I can remember the iceman's name after fifity years--go figure.)  Anyway,
one day while Oscar was delivering the ice, I decided to swing on the icebox
door and the whole thing turned over.  I wasn't hurt, but there were some
pickled beets in there and for a while everyone thought I'd gotten cut and
was bleeding all over the place.  Needless to say after the initial panic
subsided and they realized I was all right, Mom and Ran were not too happy
with my choice of exercise.  I didn't do it again either.  Good thing Oscar
was there to help pick up the icebox.
You're right--this is fun!
Eleanor
PS  I loved Brooklyn, too.  Mom use to go to the bakery for bread and they
had a machine that sliced a whole loaf of bread after you bought it.  E