From: "Edith S. Love" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2000 11:52 PM
Subject: Re: NOT PD Do you remember?

>Ken,
>
>My father came from Brooklyn.  When he was a youngster, he would buy a
bucket of milk for five cents to feed a family of seven.

>I remember just about everything you mentioned except the hamburger, fries
 the coke and the apartment rent.    Foodwise I think that's because my
mother was probably the first nutritionist.  We were not permitted to eat
any sweets or such except on weekends(did we go nuts), and a five cent
allowance didn't go too far.  As I think about it, we really didn't have
hamburgers and fries until we came to California.

>I never got to live in an apartment.  After I was born, we left NY and
moved to what was once a classy brownstone(probably also circa 1920) with
my mother's family.  My father's sister and brothers and their families had
pully dumbwaiters in their apartments.  When we visited we sent all manner
of things-not garbage-down to the basement!  Your apartment sounds glitzier!

>For me the flavored seltzer came from the drugstore(one penny) along with
wonderful milkshakes(birthday money), but the greatest treat was to go to
Strawberry Mansion for the hugest ice cream cone in the world!  This brings
to mind those huge doughy pretzels.  Do you remember vendors on the street
with doughy pretzels and mustard?  I haven't thought of them in years.  And
what about the wind-up victrola?

>Do you remember the horse and buggy vegetable vendors?  And do you
remember riding the subway for hours without any fear?  I remember doing
that to go to a girl scout meeting, and it was after dark!  What about
pushcarts.  Do you remember them!  Do you suppose modern flea markets got
their beginnings there?

>Do you remember the old washtubs and the metal scrub boards?  I can still
see my grandmother bending over them.  Those old fashioned radiators were
in the school where I taught.  In fact they're still there!

>Do you ever think of the old transportation system that was so much more
dependable than what we now have?  And what about hanging out of the window
on hot summer nights for any sign of a breeze because there was no air
conditioning?  They've been mentioned before, but I loved the fireflies.
Many nights we were out there with our jars!

>You just made me think of the old ice boxes and the ice man who delivered
his freezing block every two or three days.  Do you remember how the kids
would gather around his truck in the heat to get any slivers he might
drop-and that  brings to mind the opening of the fire hydrant so everyone
could get cool.
>Have you ever thought about school graduations compared to what we now
have?  I graduated from the eighth grade during World War II.  The
principal came into class one morning and told us we were graduating that
afternoon!