Dear Listfriends,
This was sent as part of a larger message on a different
topic to another listserv I belong to.  It was derived from
a "prayer list" of various political matters, and readers
were urged:
"PRAYER REQUESTED TO BLOCK STEM-CELL BILL". I thought it
might be of interest in light of the pending stem cell
legislation, and Sen. Brownback's 14 amendments -- it sounds
to me as though these amendments are the "filibuster"
mentioned below.

It occurs to me that letters to congressional leaders
asking them to invoke "cloture" would be appropriate.
Invoking
cloture, it appears, would prevent the filibuster and allow
the bill to be voted on while it's on the floor.

------------------------
PRAYER REQUESTED TO BLOCK STEM-CELL BILL
The Stem Cell Research Act (S. 2015) may come to the Senate
floor next week.  The bill would authorize the use of
federal research funds for the destruction of human
embryos.  A filibuster is planned to prevent its passage,
but Senator Arlen
Specter (R-PA) has threatened to invoke cloture to bring the
bill to a
vote.
--------------------

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/