Jo An, and all the others with "remembering" stories......this is great fun
and shows that people all over the world like to think of simpler times and
we all have things in common. Pushcarts...I remember them well from going
into Manhattan! They had just about anything you can eat on pushcarts! baked
potatoes, potato or kasha (buckwheat groats) knishes, sweet potatoes, large
pretzels, cotton candy, hot dogs, hamburgers, peanuts. I remember walks down
Steinway Street in Astoria NY, to a stand that sold charlotte rueses (I have
no idea how to spell it!) basically lots of whipped cream on a piece of soft
cake inside a paper wrapper. I remember the boardwalk in Rockaway where you
could watch a movie while cooled by a large noisy fan, no airconditioning in
the late 40's or go into a steambath..nothing like hot steam on a sweltering
summer day! (HUH?) play skee-ball or other games in the arcades, or eat
Chinese food, like Chop Suey on a cup shaped like an ashtray, but made of
noodles..It was called a Takee Cup or Tuckee cup, I think...... I remember
walking on the sand and getting tar on my feet...going into the ocean and
drinking lots of seawater while getting knocked down by waves! My least
favorite activity was carrying the aluminum folding chairs to the beach, they
would have sharp edges that scratched my legs, just enough to be annoying.
The best thing was getting a dark suntan and not even thinking about
sunscreen, was it even invented?  I do remember a lotion that you put on
after a good sunburn and the sand would stick to that and make one look like
a breaded piece of meat.  I remember all that good stuff from about 50 years
ago, but I still don't recall where I left my "How To Improve Your Memory"
Book!
Ken "Now where did I leave my keys?"