Friends -

This week marks the 4th anniversary of the operation transplanting cells
(obtained from specially bred pigs) into my brain in an attempt to diminish
the ravages of Parkinson's Disease.  This process is known as
xenotransplantation.  During the past 4 years I have written a diary of
experiences with this exciting research.  For those of you who have not read
it, please go to Janet Paterson's WebSite where she graciously maintains the
chronicle. <www.geocities.com/janet313/pienet/finn>.

Yesterday I spent the entire day in Boston with the attending neurologist and
his staff.  They are the team that has been monitoring my progress both
before and after the operation.  The usual tests were performed; walking,
balance, dexterity, speech, cognitive ability, rigidity, tremor, blood work,
an MRI, etc.  They are done twice; first in the "off" state (when I've had no
medication for over 16 hours) and then again when "on."

Even when "off" I do pretty well on most of the tests.  In fact, there is no
problem in getting from the parking lot to the doctor's office, a distance of
several city-blocks.  Prior to the operation such a task was extremely
difficult; now I don't give it too much thought.  The wheel chair (which I
was having to use more frequently before the surgery) is collecting dust in
the garage.  Ditto the cane.  Naturally, the freedom from these devices is
most welcome.

Two words came up during the day.  They were "excellent" and "impressive."
The medical staff is very pleased with my progress.  While it is obvious I
still have Parkinson's, the symptoms are greatly reduced.  Let's hope this
continues!

Xenotransplantation is not without controversy.  There is the fear of unknown
viruses being transmitted (from another species) into mankind.  I am happy to
report that no viruses have shown up in any of the participants in this
medical study.

As you can tell, I'm pretty excited by all of this and firmly believe in this
procedure.  But it's clearly not for everyone.  Out of the original group of
12 I apparently have had the best results.  The question is, "Why?"
Obviously, much research remains to be done.  We may be seeing just the
proverbial tip of the iceberg.

A few words on publicity.  While I have not sought any, I have made myself
available to both print and broadcast outlets.  The story of
xenotransplantation, and the hope that it provides, is an important one.  Not
only to victims of neurological disorders but others as well.  This research
may lead to treatments and cures for a great variety of conditions.  Things
like diseases of the heart, liver, and lungs for example.  The potential is
enormous.

The press knows this.  As a result I have been inundated with requests for
interviews.  This story, and my small role in it, has been portrayed on
television by "60 Minutes," "HealthWeek," and several other broadcasters such
as the famed BBC.  Several magazines, including "Popular Science" have
published articles.  Other projects are in production.

Questions?  Feel free to write directly to me and I'll do my best to answer
them.

Jim Finn