I had someone ask me to send them a copy of all my poems, and found many I
had forgotten to type, put into the wrong computer file, etc.  I will be
sending them to the list in the next several days - if you don't care for my
poems, please use your delete key or flame me off list, thanks
tex aka cowboy

                                        PAIN

Pain, I've grown to even loath the sound of the word.
It's an insidious snake, which crept slowly into my body.
Sneaking in, never to leave
It's wrapped its coils around my bones
And it never, ever, quits squeezing
Sometimes with just enough pressure
to be uncomfortable
And sometimes with such power
I would scream if only I could
But it's always present,
A part of my life which I'm not allowed to forget.
It's not the sharp bite that scares me,
That one just hurts, then goes away.
It's the knowledge that minute by minute,
Day by day, and year by year,
It slowly grows
Until I have to wonder how much more can I bear,
And how much more will I have to.

bob armentrout copyright 2000

                                        A Journey

A cold winter wind blows against my back
As I huddle over a small charcoal fire
Vehicles hurry past, headed to their destinations
While I wonder where mine is
Lights from a big city reflect off the clouds
But this old Coleman lamp is my only light
Hills rise in silhouette around me
Silently watching,
Bearing mute witness to my pain
Crickets sing me a lullaby
And fish splash to keep me company
Some bird cries in protest at being awaken
and the sliver of moon casts silver shadows around
I think of my sons, so far away
And hope they are happy tonight
But as for me, the cold wind blowing down my neck
Seems to echo a bleakness in my soul
And tonight, like every night, I wonder
if the rising of the sun will warm my spirit
Or will I be alone on this journey.

bob armentrout copyright 2000

                        WITH LOVE IN THIS TIME OF SORROW

In times like these