                        "Thoughts of a Woman"

Driving north, thoughts of a woman filling my mind,
The pines of east Texas give way to the post oaks and rolling hills.
I've never met her, but I know her.
Will she like me?

Driving north, thoughts of a woman filling my mind,
The Oklahoma wind caresses my face, Like I want to touch hers.
She's never met me, but she knows me.
Should I touch her?

Driving north, thoughts of a woman filling my mind,
A spring storm, blowing fierce across the Kansas sky,
Reminds me of her spirit.
I long to meet her, will I like her?

Driving north, thoughts of a woman filling my mind.
Dawn's gentle light reminds me of the tenderness in her voice,
And the gentle way she speaks to me.
I long to hold her, should I?

Driving north, thoughts of a woman filling my mind.
Today is her birthday.
The sound of her voice warm's me in Missouri's cool morning breeze.
Am I wrong to seek happiness?

Driving north, thoughts of a woman filling my mind.
The plowed fields of Iowa run as far as my thoughts.
Life is short, love is rare, and my apprehension grows.
A solitary visit? A lifetime of love? Which awaits?

Driving north, thoughts of a woman filling my mind.
A love called Idlewild
From a woman named Janine.
I want to kiss you. May I?

bob armentrout copyright 2000

                                        REALITY

Where did my sunshine go?
Why am I so angry?
What am I so angry about?
I had the life I dreamed of,
with the woman of my dreams
But reality kept intruding,

Stuff we wanted, which we couldn't afford
Things we needed, which we couldn't buy
And bit by bit, our paradise kept changing
Different priorities, differing views
Conflicts soon worked out
But reality kept intruding

Paradise was a little dimmer,
As if twilight had set in
You wanting to contribute
and me wanting you happy
so we settled into a new routine
But reality kept intruding

Not quite as good as before,
But still so much better
than anything I've known before
I got to drive you to work
and spend time with my sweetie
But reality kept intruding

Medicine I need, which we can't afford
An operation I want you to have
And that you need
And no money in the bank
My soul getting colder, like the weather outside
And  reality kept intruding

So you find a job you hate going one way,
and I get one I hate going another
The anger I feel over having to
bow down, eat shit, Yes Sir, No Sir, Three bags full
And I can't even see paradise from here
And reality keeps intruding

My whole world as cold as the winter to come
Anger over circumstances beyond our control
Spilling over into our home
me being unable to express the cause
you misunderstanding the anger
and reality still intruding.