UNANIMOUS-CONSENT REQUEST--S. 2015 (Senate - September 28, 2000)
[Page: S9446]  GPO's PDF
Mr. LOTT. Mr. President, with regard to the Stem Cell Research Act of 2000,
Senator Specter has been very energetic in pursuing the opportunity to
offer this legislation.
As I had agreed earlier, I now ask unanimous consent that notwithstanding
rule XXII, the HELP Committee be discharged from further consideration of S
. 2015 , and the Senate proceed to its immediate consideration under the
following terms: 3 hours on the bill to be equally divided in the usual
form; that there be up to one relevant amendment in order for each leader,
that they be offered in the first degree, limited to 1 hour equally divided
and not subject to any second-degree amendments; that no motions to commit
or recommit be in order.
I further ask unanimous consent that following the conclusion or use of the
debate time and the disposition of the above-described amendments, the bill
be advanced to third reading and a vote occur on passage of the bill, as
amended, if amended, all without any intervening action or debate.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Is there objection?
Mr. REID. Reserving the right to object, Mr. President, I have a number of
questions under my reservation. First of all, we were of the understanding
that this unanimous consent that was proposed had not been cleared on the
majority leader's side earlier today.
Mr. LOTT. There very well could be objections on this side, too.
Mr. BROWNBACK. I will object to this proposal.
Mr. LOTT. I think there are objections on both sides to this, but I made a
commitment to do everything I could to try to get this issue to be
considered by the full Senate. Senator Specter feels very strongly about
it, is committed to it, and has been reasonable in waiting for an
opportunity to offer it. I know there are objections to it on both sides,
and there is no question that there is objection on this side. I felt
constrained to make this effort. It is a serious effort.
Mr. REID. If I may say to the leader, Senator Specter has spoken to me. I
know how intensely he feels about the issue. I said the same thing to him
that the leader has said, that I would do everything I could to get this
worked out. Whoever is not allowing it to be cleared, it is not being
cleared now.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Is there objection?
Mr. BROWNBACK. I object.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Objection is heard.
Mr. LOTT. I yield the floor, Mr. President.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Under the previous order, the Senator from Alabama
is recognized.

I rest my case:
just me,
Marjorie