Dear Marjorie,

I agree that Sen Specter has been a big supporter of PD causes, for which I have thanked him. For me at least, I'd rather not rely on prayer alone to induce a vote and pass a bill allowing funding of stem-cell research.  Regarding the time we have left before recess, I feel that our disappointment and the urgency of our situation should be heard--that we need to show our resolve in advancing vital research as quickly as possible.  I do not feel that it was necessary to put off a vote in the hopes that it will be brought to a vote next year.  Congress should feel the pressure and hear the cries of the people, even if we can't get a vote now.

I believe it took more than 3 years to pass the Udall Bill.   Three years is the time it took since it became the Udall Act, the law, that we fought to fully fund, but never did.  We never got the Udall Act fully funded by a long shot.  There was authorizing language in the bill, but no actual dollars appropriated for the Act was there; and so, every year funding had to be fought for, but was unfortunately far below what the Udall Act called for.  My understanding is that if it doesn't get funded in three years, it is dead, which is why you are not hearing that we focus on funding the Udall Act anymore.  I think the Udall Act was a triumph, but the dollars were very disappointing indeed.    So, how long are we going to wait again for research to go forward?

Respectfully,

Charlotte Mancuso

"Marjorie L. Moorefield" wrote:

Tim,
All the information you need is in the PIENO Archives.
This all has been cussed and discussed from beginning to end on
this list over the last few months.
Murray has given just about every URL possible, I put in the names
and email address of EVERY Senator in the 50 States plus our outlying
territories, plus I offered the email addresses of many of the Kansas
Newspapers.
All of that is in the Archives.

Just in case you all have missed this information:  Senator Specter was
born in Wichita, Kansas. There are many, many people in Kansas unhappy
over Sen. Brownback.

I'm sorry not to agree with you people, but I'm sure Sen. Specter and Sen.
Harkin WILL bring up a new Bill after the first of the year, and it will pass.
I feel the Committee did as much as humanly possible to get this passed
and I for one, thank them for their efforts and pray they will indeed, bring
it up next year.
Right now, Congress will only be in session till 6 Oct. and they are not
scheduled to vote on anything on Monday.
After all, it took 3 years for the Udall Bill to be passed, but passed it
was!!!
Don't give up!!!
Right now we need to concentrate on getting people into the Senate and House
and the Presidency who will vote for Stem Cell Research!!
This is something we can still do something about!!

just me,
Marjorie

just me,
Marjorie