For all you folks who have been wondering what is happening in 2001 for
Inkshed, here are some of the ideas that the organizing crew at U of C
have been pursuing:

1.  Dates.

Mother's day--May 13 this year--is, of course, traditional and highly
popular with the parents in the group.  The Faculty of COmmunication and
Culture at the University of Calgary is also sponsoring a symposium to
be called "Paradigms Lost and Paradigms Gained: Negotiating
Interdisciplinarity in the Twenty-First Century."  The interdisciplinary
research/teaching focus of this conference may recommend it to many
CASLLers, and I urge you all to check out the web page at

http://www.ucalgary.ca/paradigms/

Since we can't double up with the Congress this year, we thought it
might be a good idea to offer frugal CASLLers the chance to attend this
conference along with Inkshed.

The Paradigms conference is May 9-12, so we propose Inkshed for:

Sunday evening May 13 - Wednesday morning May 16.

How does this work for everyone?

The next weekend is the Victoria Day weekend so we are not anxious to
have it then, but we could move it earlier if there was demand for the
traditional weekend venue.

Opinions?

2.  Theme.

Themes are traditionally discussed at the end of a conference when
everyone is exhausted and slightly hung over, so my notes are not as
clear as they might be, but I have record of several ideas revolving
around the theme of revisiting reading/writing connections in some new
ways.  Why not something like this:
================================
Reading Contexts

"Reading Contexts" can be read to mean simply contexts in which reading,
and literacy in general, occurs.  However, we also mean it to be read as
the reading of contexts: that is, how to we help students to learn to
"read" the complex contexts in which their writing will be taken up by
audiences real and imagined?  How do they read themselves into a
contextual space for their writing, and what is the nature of the spaces
they read themselves into?  In what way does it matter how audiences
read them, and what is the nature of those audiences?  What does it mean
for student writers to put themselves in the context of readers.

And, even more broadly, to quote the last line of the Inkshed 17 theme
... whatever.
====================================

Any discussion, ideas, extensions, additions, refusals, etc.?

3.  Venue.

Still under investigation.  In the Calgary area we have several options:

a.  A slightly upscale accommodation in which the Rockies lean in your
window and you have to shoo the elk away from your muffin in the
morning.  Some folks may remember Buffalo Mountain Lodge (Inkshed 9) as
a representative of this genre.  It costs a wee bit more than average
Inkshed places but we got a really good deal last time and they threw in
a couple of mountains for nothing.

b.  A little more midscale place like Kananaskas Guest Ranch (Inkshed
12) -- still a little more expensive than in less picturesque parts of
the world but perhaps more in keeping with the Inkshed
boots-on-the-furniture tradition.

c.  We can shop for real bargains if people want.

This question will be much more answerable once we get some firm quotes
but advice is always welcome.  We are big enough people to ignore it if
we feel required.

Love to all.  See you in May.

The Inkshed 18 committee:

Jo-Anne Andre