Please note that you should send any questions to the panel organiser
directly (address below) and not to the list (since he won't see them
here!) AAY

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew W. White <[log in to unmask]>

For the 25th Comparative Drama Conference, to be held at Ohio State
University April 26-28, 2001, I will be organizing at least one panel on
_Byzantine, Medieval & Late Roman Drama_.

The topic area is intentionally broad, in part because the study of
Byzantine performance practice, sacred and secular, is one with quite a
wide range of possibilities.  By "Byzantine" is meant, initially, the
Eastern Roman Empire based in the capitol of Constantinople,
traditionally dated 330-1453.  But the Eastern Empire's roots extend
back to the culture of Ancient Greece and Rome, and geographically
Byzantium's influence -- military, political and/or cultural --
extended from Gibraltar to Siberia, from England to Ethiopia, and,
very likely, beyond.  In addition, this Christian empire's regular
contacts with Muslim and Western culture ensured a long, fertile
period of debates on issues of liturgical practice, aesthetics, drama
and performance that all bear closer scrutiny.

Possible topic areas are myriad, but aside from more traditional inquiry
can also include comparative analyses of religious ritual/liturgy from
the standpoint of the drama; issues of dramatic structure, orality
and/or performativity in sacred text; the drama in Egypt and North
Africa; Islamic vs. Christian concepts of drama; dramatic structure in
hymnography; and music and the drama.

In the spirit of the original CFP for the Comparative Drama Conference
you may have already received, I would like to reiterate that for this
panel, "Papers may be comparative across disciplines, periods or
nationalities, may deal with any issue in dramatic theory and
criticism, or any method of historiography, translation, or
production."

Questions are more than welcome, and depending on the response we may
have more than one session.  I would appreciate it if abstracts could
be submitted to me by November 1.

Many thanks,
Andrew Walker White
Department of Theatre