>  We are getting a little far afield here.  With stem cells we aren't
> talking about an 8 week embryo/fetus and you know that.  There is no
> nervous system so there cant't be an EEG..  We are not talking about
> about a child. We are talking about a cell or a small group of cells
> which often are not known to the prospective mother to even be
> present.  Certainly people mourn the loss of a potential life  if it is
> wanted. But couples who are trying to get pregnant also often mourn each
> menstrual cycle  for the life that might have been. You know that there
> is no scientific evidence valid in this argument but you continue to
> insist that human life begins at conception..  This is not based on
> science any more than my opinion is supported  by scientific evidence (or
> contradicted for that matter).  It is a matter of philosophy and basic
> assuimptions either relligious or not.  But to hold  the opinion that a
> child is present in the first weeks of development is based on science is
> absurd.

>I didn't  miss your point regarding the cheapening  of life I just
>strongly disagree with it.You can't compare the children killed in the
>Holocost to embryos lost by abortion. To make that comparison is to
>trivialize the lives lost in  the holocost. The living breathing people
>who died were much more than bunches of cells.

I also notice that you omit writing about the issues involved in
choice.  What gives anyone the right to make choices for me or my daughter
or my wife?   Women need to be able to exert control over their bodies
and  to be forced to take an unwanted pregnancy to term  on the basis
of  someone else's religious/philosophical constructs is abhorrent to me.

Our basic disagreement appears to be related to when human life begins and
everything follows after it.  For the sake of the Stem cell arguments let's
assume that it starts at 8 weeks gestation I will concede that it may have
some rights at that point in time which need to be weighed against the
mother's and  I ask you to acknowledge that there is no scientific evidence
that human life begins prior to that time (which you already have done by
saying that your opinions were scientifically based) and the embryo/fetus
is only potential life is not a person and  has no rights.   The issue
of  fetal rights vs mother's rights can be left for another day.

Charlie
Charles T. Meyer, M.D.
Middleton, WI
PD DX  12 years (at age 44)