At 08:35 AM 10/07/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>I do not, however, *trust* the NIH Guidelines.  The testimony of Dr.
>Richard Hynes to the Senate (posted here by Marjorie) is a worthy
>statement; and I think that the NIH Guidelines are appropriate.  What
>bothers me, however, is the tendency for some research institutions
>(and others) to ignore such Guidelines (such as the recent exposure of
>the inhumane conditions in some animal laboratories despite the
>regulations governing the care of lab animals).  I am not confident of
>Government's ability to control the behavior of those who would "take
>the law into their own hands" for the sake of "research".
>
>Similarly, we have had, right here on this List, people who have said
>that they would, if they could, foster a pregnancy in order to gain
>tissue to save a loved one, whether or not the child created by the
>pregnancy was to survive or not.  This is the kind of abuse that I am
>concerned about and why I continue to express my strongly-held
>opinions on this matter.
>

>Best,
>
>Bob

HI Bob,

I'm afraid that I do trust everyone, including the US Government, until
I find that I can't trust them anymore.  I can't imagine living in a
country where
I couldn't trust the government, that was something my Grandparents
gave to me when they came to the USA in 1702.
I sometimes think its ironic that I was born free, and have never been
in a war torn land, to have so many friends in foreign countries who are
now in grave danger. Life sure has a way of turning things around doesn't it?

Not to worry,
  all of us who have said they would  create a
child to save a loved one are all close to 70 years old.
Mother Nature took care of our "Baby Buggy's" a long, long, time ago!!
We certainly are no threat to the "slippery slope of ethical use of
embryonic stem cell research".

Life for a lot of us has become a question of :
Will I be able to make it down the hallway to the kitchen to
fix lunch?
As you can tell, I'm not doing too well physically today.

just me,
Marjorie 67/58/55