Marjorie Bob and those still following this debate,

Marjorie as usual you have said it best.  I am afraid Dr. Fink fears the
Nazi government is here, not just a threat.  He said in a previous post
that he felt that the Democrats if the gain power in the next election will
overturn this reasonable compromise for research into the use of stem
cells.  Under whose administration were we under when the current
guidelines were passed? Where does he think the Republicans will be if that
happens?

I fear the zealotry the right to life forces have demonstrated will prevail
if George  W. Bush is elected and he will similarly to Reagan  and his
father have done in the past send down an executive order banning the
research.   Bob-  where will you be then? You agree that stem cell research
may be valuable yet I somehow doubt that you would exert much of a effort
to block the banning of  that research by a Republican president.   If I am
wrong I apologize and will work with you on the prevention of that ban from
occurring.

Charlie

You also fear that the guidelines will be exceeded.  Well that is a
violation of the law and should be prosecuted.  It can happen but then the
force of law would be against the researchers.  Personally I think the
problem in obtaining eggs would make it unlikely that women would volunteer
for the procedure without getting something in return like a baby  Getting
payment for it would violate generally accepted ethical standards and there
are plenty of embryos available through IVF clinics, therefore I think
there  is small  but present danger. And the guidelines I believe should be
enforced.

At 11:59 AM 10/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>At 08:35 AM 10/07/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>>I do not, however, *trust* the NIH Guidelines.  The testimony of Dr.
>>Richard Hynes to the Senate (posted here by Marjorie) is a worthy
>>statement; and I think that the NIH Guidelines are appropriate.  What
>>bothers me, however, is the tendency for some research institutions
>>(and others) to ignore such Guidelines (such as the recent exposure of
>>the inhumane conditions in some animal laboratories despite the
>>regulations governing the care of lab animals).  I am not confident of
>>Government's ability to control the behavior of those who would "take
>>the law into their own hands" for the sake of "research".
>>
>>Similarly, we have had, right here on this List, people who have said
>>that they would, if they could, foster a pregnancy in order to gain
>>tissue to save a loved one, whether or not the child created by the
>>pregnancy was to survive or not.  This is the kind of abuse that I am
>>concerned about and why I continue to express my strongly-held
>>opinions on this matter.
>>

>>Best,
>>
>>Bob
>

>HI Bob,
>
>I'm afraid that I do trust everyone, including the US Government, until
>I find that I can't trust them anymore.  I can't imagine living in a
>country where
>I couldn't trust the government, that was something my Grandparents
>gave to me when they came to the USA in 1702.
>I sometimes think its ironic that I was born free, and have never been
>in a war torn land, to have so many friends in foreign countries who are
>now in grave danger. Life sure has a way of turning things around doesn't it?
>
>Not to worry,
>  all of us who have said they would  create a
>child to save a loved one are all close to 70 years old.
>Mother Nature took care of our "Baby Buggy's" a long, long, time ago!!
>We certainly are no threat to the "slippery slope of ethical use of
>embryonic stem cell research".
>
>Life for a lot of us has become a question of :
>Will I be able to make it down the hallway to the kitchen to
>fix lunch?
>As you can tell, I'm not doing too well physically today.
>
>just me,
>Marjorie 67/58/55

Charles T. Meyer, M.D.
Middleton, WI