Dear Ray---while it is not directly related to the perspective on stem cell
research we are discussing here, I did find the article very informative
and interesting.  It is certainly true that in so many areas of research
our technical abilities have outrun our ethical and philosophical
discourse.  Of course this is an example of the "cultural lag" we learned
about in sociology class in college---social development tends to lag
behind technical advances, and this can sometimes get us into big trouble.
Forseeing consequences is something humans aren't always very good at, alas
!  :-(

>The following article was selected from the Internet Edition
>of the Chicago Tribune. To visit the site, point your browser
>to http://chicagotribune.com/.
>----------- Chicago Tribune Article Forwarding----------------
>

>Article forwarded by: ray stramd
>
>Return e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>Article URL:
>http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/metro/chicago/article/0,2669,ART-47235,FF.htm
>
>Comments:
>i'm forwarding this to the list since it is clearer than my ramblings
>about stem cell potential--and touches on the ethical implications we all
>need to be aware of as advocates of stem cell research
>
>---Forwarded article----------------
>Embryo is picked to try to save sister's life

SNIPPED

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 82/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

           on PDWebring at
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for