It all depends on who paid the premiums .  If on the last  payment of
premium your dad can prove that he paid the premium with post tax dollars
then the benefit is tax-free.  If however it was paid by the employer (with
pre-tax dollars) then he is liable for the taxes on the benefit.  I ran
into that and because my employer changed how they deducted the payment for
income continuation insurance for everyone- not just me-  I do not pay
taxes on the benefit which has been quite helpful.

Charlie

At 11:32 AM 10/4/00 -0400, you wrote:
>At 11:21 AM 10/04/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>>My Dad is planning his retirement.  He mentioned the other day that he was
>>going to try to get his disability retirement income to be waived of income
>>taxes.  I have never heard of this before.  Have any of you on the list been
>>successful in getting a waiver on paying taxes on your disability retirement
>>income?  I told him that I would run it by you all and find out.  Thanks
>>much,
>>
>>Jen,  Dad w/ PD  55/39
>
>Hi Jennifer,
>Greg Sterling would know the answer to that!
>
>I know that with retired Military Disability Pay
>either all or a part of it is not taxed, but since
>my husband's retirement is just for length of service,
>and not disability, I can't answer that for you.
>Good Luck to you and your Father.
>
>just me,
>Marjorie

Charles T. Meyer, M.D.