From: Camilla Flintermann [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 11:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Stem Cells = "Blastula" ?

Well, my embryology class was a looooong time ago---and you may be right,
but the stage I have seen cited is the  zygote, a "cell produced by the
union of egg and spern":(acc. to Tabers' Medical Encyclopedia) which I
think would be even earlier than a blastula?  Is this correct?

>Stem Cells = "Blastula" ?
>
>Is it not true that the best undifferentiated cells are to be found in the
>blastula phase of development?
>
>If I remember my college embryology from 35 years ago, (and if they haven't
>completely changed the field of embryology since then), the egg and sperm
>come together, begin to split and form a hollow sphere made up of cells....
>a blastula.  At this stage the individuals cells can become anything,
>depending on chemical and other conditions and influences ("tropisms") to
>which they may become exposed.
>
>If the blastula is the best source of stem cells, then should the questions
>not be focused on the use of blastulas, not embryos.   What say you?
>
>Bill
>PWP, New Jersey

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 82/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

           on PDWebring at
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for