At 10:34 AM 10/05/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>One point has eluded me:
>
>Once a researcher has an original supply of stem cells, how often do they
>have to go back for fresh ones?  Can't they culture and grow on-going
>supplies right in the lab?
>
>Bill

Hi Bill,
I'm going to re-post S.2015 in its entirety, the way I read it, the
RESTRICTIONS
in this bill would stop what you are asking about, but then I'm not an
Attorney, a Doctor, Scientist and not a member of Congress.  So someone
else will have to answer your question.

just me,
Marjorie

S 2015 IS
106th CONGRESS
2d Session
S. 2015
To amend the Public Health Service Act to provide for research with respect
to human embryonic stem cells.
IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
January 31, 2000
Mr. SPECTER (for himself and Mr. HARKIN) introduced the following bill;
which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education,
Labor, and Pensions

A BILL
To amend the Public Health Service Act to provide for research with respect
to human embryonic stem cells.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United
States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `Stem Cell Research Act of 2000'.
SEC. 2. RESEARCH ON HUMAN EMBRYONIC STEM CELLS.
Part G of the Title IV of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 288 et
seq.) is amended by inserting after section 498B the following:
`SEC. 498C. RESEARCH ON HUMAN EMBRYONIC STEM CELLS.
`(a) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary
may only conduct, support, or fund research on, or utilizing, human embryos
for the purpose of generating embryonic stem cells in accordance with this
section.
`(b) SOURCES OF EMBRYONIC CELLS- For purposes of carrying out research
under paragraph (1), the human embryonic stem cells involved shall be
derived only from embryos that otherwise would be discarded that have been
donated from in-vitro fertilization clinics with the written informed
consent of the progenitors.
`(c) RESTRICTIONS-
`(1) IN GENERAL- The following restriction shall apply with respect to
human embryonic stem cell research conducted or supported under subsection (a):
`(A) The research involved shall not result in the creation of human embryos.
`(B) The research involved shall not result in the reproductive cloning of
a human being.
`(2) PROHIBITION-
`(A) IN GENERAL- It shall be unlawful for any person receiving Federal
funds to knowingly acquire, receive, or otherwise transfer any human
gametes or human embryos for valuable consideration if the acquisition,
receipt, or transfer affects interstate commerce.
`(B) DEFINITION- In subparagraph (A), the term `valuable consideration'
does not include reasonable payments associated with transportation,
transplantation, processing, preservation, quality control, or storage.
`(d) GUIDELINES-
`(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary, in conjunction with the Director of the
National Institutes of Health, shall issue guidelines governing human
embryonic stem cell research under this section, including the definitions
and terms used for purposes of such research.
`(2) REQUIREMENTS- The guidelines issued under paragraph (1) shall ensure
that--
`(A) all Federal research protocols and consent forms involving human
embryonic stem cell research must be reviewed and approved by an
institutional review board; and
`(B) the institutional review board is empowered to make a determination as
to whether or not the proposed research is in accordance with National
Institutes of Health Guidelines for Research Involving Human Pluripotent
Stem Cells.
`(e) REPORTING REQUIREMENTS.- Not later than January 1, 2001, and each
January 1 thereafter, the Secretary shall prepare and submit to the
appropriate committees of Congress a report describing the activities
carried out under this section during the preceding fiscal year, and
including a description of whether and to what extent research under
subsection (a) has been conducted in accordance with this section.'.
END