From: Joao Carvalho [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 10:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: stem cells

Hi Bob,

Like Jack the Stripper used to say : "lets go by parts" ...but lets start
with the last paragraph of
you re :

"Robert A. Fink, M. D." wrote:

***BTW, I don't advocate the throwing of bombs in front of abortion
clinics, nor do most of those of us who oppose the unreasoned
sacrifice of the unborn****.......

Having you as I have in high regard,respect and admiration ,as a person and
as a professional (even
not agreeing with all yours points of view), I would be the last person to
suspect or imagine you to
advocate this Nazi behavior ....all I did mention was that some said
"pro-life" elements did in past
, and who knows may repeat it in   the future , such condemned behavior, and
that I did not
understand how these people could assume to be "pro-life"  while killing
human beings.
My sincere excuses if my bad English may ,by some reason, lead you for
another interpretation of
those words..

> Secondly you say " a human embryo/fetus is a human being. "......... I

> > do not agree . A human being in my way of see it has to have human
> > brain , human feelings , human memory , human conscience , to say the
> > least . So , I believe the embryo is a group of cells derived of human
> > bodies that has the potential to be transformed in the myriad of human
> > cells and eventually with all conditions favorable (not the case in
> > general) may generate a human being .. The point is : at such stage
> > (as embryos) they are only human cells and not human beings .
>
> The medical profession (and the law in most places) has declared that
> a human being is "dead" when they do not have any brain activity
> and that this condition is irreversible.  This state, called "brain-dead"
> is the point where organs can be harvested for transplant, life-support
> can be discontinued, etc.  The people who have made this distinction
> (and have codified it into law) have said that the *brain* is what
> makes the "human tissue" truly human.

I do agree with such view ....
As result of this view I would not accept a new-born that sometimes are born
with  NO brain ought to
be considered as a "human being" ,as long he has not the most fundamental
organ to characterize a
human being.

Along the same line of reasoning an embryo has no brain, and also cannot be
considered a human being
even if given the proper conditions might have later the potential to become
one.

> If this is correct, then what about the fact that a human fetus, at about
> 8 weeks' gestation, has a recordable EEG (and, as our technology gets
> better, maybe even earlier!).  If that collection of "human cells" was

You now are talking of human fetus , at about 8 weeks'gestation and so far
we were talking of
embryos .

Best regards
Cheers,