The purpose of a debate is not to change the oppositions mind!!! I never
participated in formal debate in High School or College, but have had quite
a few (informal) with my wife. Never did change her mind (she changed mine a
few times, though)!

The purpose of debate is to thoroughly address both sides of an issue in an
intelligent, reasonable, thoughtful and courteous manner with facts and
ideas based on a great deal of research and thought. It's goal is or should
be to find a common ground on which both sides can agree and/or discover a
totally new approach to the dilemma. In formal academic debate, the
participants are required to argue boths sides of the issue at one time or
another. Having to argue the other side's position may or may not reinforce
your own.

I really appreciate this ongoing discussion. It's healthy! Now would you two
Doctor's trade sides and let's keep it going.