Date sent:              Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:52:14 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Charles T. Meyer, M.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: stem cells
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> and the embryo/fetus is only potential life is not a person and  has
> no rights.

Nope.  I vigorously disagree.  I believe that an 8-week fetus *is* a real
living human being (not just a "potential" one, otherwise I would have
to oppose contraception, which I do not oppose).  I believe that
current *science* proves that one.  I also happen to believe that a
fertilized human ovum (a "zygote") is also a human being, but I cannot
rely on science for that and so, it is, in my mind, a "belief", only.

I resent your invocation of the Holocaust victims because what I am
protesting against is the very thing which "softened up" the German
people into accepting the horrors of the Holocaust; and I do not, for
one minute, believe that it could not happen here.

>>I will concede that it
may have some rights at that point in time which need to be weighed
against the mother's <<

The use of the word "it" to describe a human fetus disturbs me.
Reminds me of an exchange which I had many years ago (I was a testy
sort in my younger days, also) when "Ms" magazine reviewed a new
book explaining the reproductive process for young children.  It was a
lovely book and the reviewers praised it except in one small area,
which led them to reject it totally.  It seems that they "gave names" to
the little fetuses which were part of the illustrations (the book was
designed for pre-teens), and the reviewer objected to the
"personalization" of the fetus, because it might suggest that the fetus
was "human" and intefere with the abortion movement.  They actually
wrote that!  I wrote a letter to the editor which, of course, was never
published.

No, I will not get into the issues of baby rights vs. mother rights.  I
won't even suggest that there is yet a third party involved (the father).
But I will never acquiesce to a system which will allow one human
being to live at the expense of the life of another who is innocent of
any crime other than being alive.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"