Date sent:              Sat, 7 Oct 2000 04:39:01 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   ROBERT A MARTONE <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Stem Cell
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> It seems to me that science may be able to establish when
> life begins but each belief system will continue to spin
> that knowledge to support their particular view of when it
> begins. While the taking of any life troubles me, and
> probably always will, my spin on my newly acquired knowledge
> is that the current use of excess embryo's to end the
> killing caused by disease seems morally and ethically
> justified.

I think that Bob Martone's posting is reasoned and respectful.  I stand
behind what it says.

I don't think that I have any real disagreement with this statement.  I
still oppose the *creation* of embryos for "research" or "treatment".  I
have some concerns about the use of "excess" embryos; but as long
as we have these lying around, I would not obstruct their use for good
ends.

I do not, however, *trust* the NIH Guidelines.  The testimony of Dr.
Richard Hynes to the Senate (posted here by Marjorie) is a worthy
statement; and I think that the NIH Guidelines are appropriate.  What
bothers me, however, is the tendency for some research institutions
(and others) to ignore such Guidelines (such as the recent exposure of
the inhumane conditions in some animal laboratories despite the
regulations governing the care of lab animals).  I am not confident of
Government's ability to control the behavior of those who would "take
the law into their own hands" for the sake of "research".

Similarly, we have had, right here on this List, people who have said
that they would, if they could, foster a pregnancy in order to gain
tissue to save a loved one, whether or not the child created by the
pregnancy was to survive or not.  This is the kind of abuse that I am
concerned about and why I continue to express my strongly-held
opinions on this matter.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"