Date sent:              Sat, 7 Oct 2000 12:28:45 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Charles T. Meyer, M.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Stem Cell
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> I am afraid Dr. Fink fears the
> Nazi government is here, not just a threat.  He said in a previous
> post that he felt that the Democrats if the gain power in the next
> election will overturn this reasonable compromise for research into
> the use of stem cells.  Under whose administration were we under when
> the current guidelines were passed? Where does he think the
> Republicans will be if that happens?

No, Charlie, please stop putting (over-reactive) words in my mouth.  I
did not invoke the Nazis as being part of our government, I merely
said that I do not always *trust* government to do what it says it is
going to do.  We have been sold many "bills of goods" in the past,
like de-regulation of the airline and telephone industries,
"oxygenation" of gasoline (with the huge MTBE problem that we now
have in California), de-regulation and "privatization" of the power
industry (have you seen what is happening here?).  I am simply saying
that, based on my own experience, and the experience of other
colleagues in medicine, I do not trust the Government to be able to
"ride herd" on the "stem cell industry" (which will develop very soon
if it has not yet developed).

It has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans (I happen to be a
Democrat but I am not very happy with the "number one" person on
the current ticket and wish that the ticket was "inverted").

>>Personally I think the
problem in obtaining eggs would make it unlikely that women would
volunteer for the procedure without getting something in return like a
baby  Getting payment for it would violate generally accepted ethical
standards and there are plenty of embryos available through IVF
clinics,
therefore I think there  is small  but present danger. And the guidelines
I believe should be enforced.<<

Look at what just recently has happened in Southern California (and
also, slightly differently at Stanford).  Several reproductive physicians
were found to have taken "excess" eggs from women who had
donated such eggs to a given surrogate mother, and then, at a fairly
steep fee, transplanted those eggs into *other* women who wanted
babies.  No knowledge by the "donors".  The Reproductive Clinic at
UC Irvine was *closed down* because of this and the physicians
involved (academics on the UC payroll) left the country rapidly.  I
suspect that for every case that is "caught" by the Government, there
are a dozen that "get by" undetected.

Am I paranoid?  Maybe, but I think not.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"