Dear Listfriends,

I was not on-line for several days, and now I'm catching up on what
happened.  Oy!

I am disappointed that the stem cell bill was postponed, because I
read a report that Senator Specter thought that there were enough
votes in the Senate to pass it.  But at this time, with the Senate
being late on 11 of the 13 major appropriations bills to fund all next
year's US government operations starting October 1 (yesterday), it
was not logistically possible to deal with it.

Linda Herman, who does a great job at keeping up on the issues
and putting matters clearly, asked

1. Is the NIH still able to fund stem cell research under the current
guidelines?

2. In what way could these guidelines be changed - is it possible
for the next President or Congress impose a new ban on NIH
funding?

3. How will the postponment of S. 2015 affect current NIH funding?

4. What can those supporting stem cell research do at this point?

For what it's worth, here's how I see it:

1.  NIH funding of stem cell research has a tenuous go-ahead.  The
appropriations bills have for several years contained a clause
prohibiting funding of research in which human embryos are
created or destroyed.  According to legal analysis by the Health
and Human Services, parent organization to NIH, it's OK to fund
research on embryonic stem cells if someone else does the
extraction.  This is seen by opponents as a loophole.  S2015
removes the loophole issue by allowing federal funding of the
extraction from left-over embryos from in vitro fertilization.

2.  Bush, who opposes federally funded embryonic stem cell
research, if elected could stop it by executive order, as did his
father and Ronald Reagan.  What's worse, if enough opponents of
this research gain control of Congress, they could pass laws to
stop all embryonic stem cell research, both public and private.

3.  The funding level of NIH will remain the same.  It's interesting to
note that both Bush and Gore support doubling of NIH funding
within a few years.

4.  Better educate ourselves to clarify our views on the issues and
understand the views of opponents, so as to be able to make a
clear and convincing case; become advocates for the Michael J.
Fox Foundation; educate the public by letters to newpapers; work
to unseat opponents in Congress who are up for re-election this
year (Kyl, Ashcroft, Grams, Burns, DeWine, Santorum) ...

There are a lot of tough issues involved.  As Senator Specter
noted, it's not simply a pro-life vs. pro-choice issue.  As
contradictory as it may seem, there are pro-life members of
Congress who support embryonic stem cell research.

Phil Tompkins
Amherst, Mass.
age 62/dx 1990