Hello,

Charlotte Mancuso wrote:

> Ironically, I don't think that incinerating them or having to get
> permission from the "parents" to destroy them has ever been an
> issue.  I also don't hear anyone suggesting that these couples give
> up the chance of having a child.

Good point. This has gone unmentioned in current debates on
embryonic stem cells. IVF was very controversial when it started,
but it is now accepted by everyone but the Vatican.  To be
consistent, and the Vatican folks are very into logic, you must also
condemn IVF, because of disposal of the left-over embryos.

Another consideration:  A very large number of embryos are lost in
early pregnancy by spontaneous miscarriage.  But you don't hear
the right-to-lifers bemoaning this as a great loss of life and
declaring it to be a health crisis.

Inconsistencies like these suggest to me either that people have
not thought things through or else that there is a hidden agenda.

You asked

> why did Senator Specter scuttle his own stem-cell research bill

Sen Specter is in a difficult position, as he is going against the
views of his party, but I've heard he is also a principled person.
And he has been a great friend to the Udall bill and efforts to cure
PD.

S.2015 could open the whole right-to-life question for prolonged
debate on the Senate floor, and the problem is how to narrow the
focus to just the subject of the bill itself.

As I read the Congressional record transcript, and I am unfamiliar
with Senate procedures, in order to bring the bill to the floor for
debate and a vote, Lott asked for unanimous consent to limit time
for debate and to limit the number of amendments to 1 from each
party.  As majority leader, he controls what gets brought to the
floor. There was of course no unanimous consent.

Hang in there,

Phil Tompkins