In the current discussion we need to be very careful of where
information comes from and to examine it carefully to determine
any hidden bias.  Bill Olsen wrote:

> Whether or not we approve of using cells that are no longer needed
> for infertility treatments, we may soon see a sharp drop in the
> demand. Adult stem cells, found in nerve tissue, umbilical cord
> blood, and bone marrow,etc. provide a morally acceptable
> alternative that does not cause harm to human beings.
>
> Christopher Reeve testified to Congress that adult stem cells are
> no longer able to develop into a wide variety of tissues, yet
> Reeve' s own foundation did work proving the opposite which was
> submitted for publication on March 31, a month before the hearing.
>
> For more details, please go to the web-site at
> www.stemcellresearch.org/pr000829.htm

www.stemcellresearch.org is not an objecive scientific website
backing stem cell research.  It is registered to the Bannockburn
Institute for Christianity and Contemporary Culture, 2065 Half Day
Road, Bannockburn, IL  60015, which also has web site
http://www.biccc.org/

This organization is closely associated with the The Center for
Bioethics and Human Dignity, whose web site is www.cbhd.org.  A
look at the on-line materials there reveals them to be anti-abortion.

The pro-life folks, especially the National Conference of Catholic
Bishops, are gathering every shred of adult stem cell research to
try to demonstrate that embryonic stem cell research is not
needed after all!.  We need to evaluate these claims carefully.
What most researchers are saying is that it is far too early to
abandon any approach.  We haven't yet made dopamine-producing
cells from adult bone marrow.

I will try to get to the bottom of the Christopher Reeve thing.  It's
like being one of the guys behind the circus parade who shovels up.

Phil Tompkins