Bill Olson wrote:

> Christopher Reeve testified to Congress that adult stem cells are
> no longer able to develop into a wide variety of tissues, yet
> Reeve's own foundation did work proving the opposite which was
> submitted for publication on March 31, a month before the hearing.

Christopher Reeve's testimony on April 26 is at

http://www.senate.gov/~appropriations/labor/testimony/reeve.htm

He said

"Treatment with stem cells has already begun. They have been
taken from umbilical cords and become healthy red cells used to
cure sickle-cell anemia. Stem cell therapy is also being used
against certain types of cancer. But those are cells that have
significantly differentiated; that is, they are no longer pluripotent, or
capable of transforming into other cell types. For the true biological
miracles that researchers have only begun to foresee, medical
science must turn to undifferentiated stem cells. We need to clear
the path for them as rapidly as possible."

The research in question is reported in "Adult rat and human bone
marrow stromal cells differentiate into neurons", Dale Woodbury,
Emily J. Schwarz, Darwin J. Prockop, Ira B. Black.  Journal of
Neuroscience Research.  Volume: 61, Issue: 4, Date: 15 August
2000, Pages: 364-370.

This is available on-line at

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-
bin/fulltext?ID=72514189&PLACEBO=IE.pdf

The article contains the sentence "A subclass of bone marrow
stem cells is one prototype, capable of differentiating into
osteogenic, chondrogenic, adipogenic, and other mesenchymal
lineages in vitro...
They have been termed marrow stromal cells...."

A news report "Scientists Produce Nerve Cells from Bone Marrow
Stem Cells" at

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/stemcells
000815.html

contains:

"The research, conducted at the University of Medicine and
Dentistry of New Jersey and MCP Hahnemann University in
Philadelphia, was funded in part by the Christopher Reeve
Paralysis Foundation."

Another news report of the research "Researcher grow brain stem
cells from bone marrow stem cells" at

http://europe.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/08/15/brain.stemcell/

contains:

"If successful, [Dr. Ira] Black's research could mean that patients
with damaged cells could get replacement cells from their own
bodies, rather than from another person or from cells grown in a
lab. That eliminates the danger that the patient's body would reject
the outside cells.

"Black admits his research is very preliminary, and he says it is
essential that all clinical trials continue.

"'We are not going to get the critical answers, the answers that are
so central to recovery of function for patients, unless we proceed
across all of these fronts,' said Black."

Regarding whether Reeve knew about this research at the time of
his testimony, one thing is clear.  Reeve's foundation did not DO
the research work.  It partly FUNDED the work.

We do not know how much the foundation knew of this work.  We
have no information about communication between the foundation
and the researchers at that time.  Did the researchers keep their
work secret until the official report was available in print?  The
implication that the Reeve foundation was suppressing or distorting
information is not justified based on what we know.

Well, I'll be "shoveling off".

Phil Tompkins