Date sent:              Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:20:50 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   "Hawkins, Darwin"
Subject:                Re: stem cells
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> I have one question for you. Do you condone the in-vitro fertilization
> process as it now is practiced? Yes or No

Darwin,

From my many years functioning as an expert witness in legal cases, I
*never* answer questions with a simple "yes or no".

I do not object to in vitro fertilization as a procedure.  It is designed to
"create" life.  I am concerned about the fate of the "unused" embryos,
but I think that good people can figure that one out ethically.

My problem with certain aspects of the stem cell work has to do with
the kind of remarks that have been made on this List where people
have suggested that they would advocate starting a pregnancy for the
express purpose of using the "products of conception" as a source for
stem cells.  In the recent case, the baby lived; but others have
suggested that aborted babies are also "fair game".  That is what I am
unalterably opposed to.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"