For anyone who was trying to follow me as I tried to sort through
the Christopher Reeve statements and the reports and meanings
thereof, here's the latest poop:

I e-mailed the Christopher Reeve Foundation as I said I would.  The
reply I got, from a Susan Howley, is:

"In general, scientists agree that stem cell research must be
pursued on all fronts because among many other things, it is not
known whether differentiated "adult" stem cells will be as effective
therapeutically as undifferentiated stem cells.  In the case of the
study you cite, while it is true that the marrow stem cells
apparently were converted to neurons, the project did not examine
behavioral outcomes in animal models of injury.  The study will
have to be replicated independently in other laboratories and taken
to the next level of investigation.  In general, the only thing safe to
say is that an extraordinary amount of work remains to be done
before we understand the capacity of all stem cells to be used to
treat and cure disease.

"Until the results of scientific studies are published in peer reviewed
scientific journals, they are not in the public domain.  While the
subject study may have been submitted on March 31st, it was only
published in the August 15, 2000 issue of Journal of Neuroscience
Research."

As I indicated, the web site where Bill got his information is run by
pro-life opponents of embryonic stem cell research who are trying
to argue that research shows that this line of research is not
needed, and that adult stem cells can do the job.

Besides being aware of where information comes from, it is
important to pay attention to different senses of the little word
"can", which range along a spectrum from what is theoretically
possible to what is now practically doable, and to beware of
distortions in which one sense of "can" is equated to another.  In
theory, since every cell in the same person contains the same
genes, any cell type can be converted to any other cell type.  But
nobody can practically do all this now.  Until someone actually
converts marrow cells to dopamine-producing neurons and
transplants them into a Parkinson's patient's substantia nigra, and
they grow there and produce dopamine and permanently reverse
PD symptoms with no significant undesirable effects, it will be too
early to abandon embryonic stem cell research.  The capabilities of
embryonic stem cells are not just theoretical.  In fact they do
eventually differentiate into dopamine producing cells, as occurs in
normal human development.

Well, I'm turning in my shovel now.  Anyone with further questions
can contact the Christophe Reeve Foundation.

Phil Tompkins