As a relative newcomer to this LIST I have found the discussion/debate on
Stem Cell research to be fascinating as well as very educational and would
like to thank those who have contributed to both sides of the discussion.

I am very much in favour of any research which can end the suffering
experienced by those with PD and my stance is very much pro Quality-of-Life.
In my experience of a family member with PD (my father) is that this
debilitating disease effects the Quality-of-Life of at least 2 people, the
PWP and the Care Giver and so any cure for PD benefits not only the millions
of people throughout the world who have PD but also the millions of people
who support them.

I am therefore very much on the side of responsible Stem Cell research which
shows so much promise.

In the bigger picture, I am sure that Stem Cell research will continue with
both Adult as well as embryonic stem cells, if not in the USA then in other
countries because, now that the cat is out of the proverbial bag, it will be
impossible to put it back.     Narrow minded people like Sen Brownback have
about as much hope of stopping it as King Kanute did of holding back the
tide.

Assuming that the Stem Cell research results in a successful cure for
Parkinson's and other debilitating diseases by rebuilding that most complex
of human organs, the brain, it does raise some interesting issues.     If
the brain and other complex organs such as the eyes can be repaired/rebuilt
then I assume other organs would  also the able to be repaired and so what
will people die of if the future?  Will we all become immortal?

I can imagine going along for my annual medical checkup in the future and
the doctor diagnoses the potential failure of an organ and so gives me an
injection of some stem cell derived product to repair the organ back to its
new state.      Perhaps with a bit of repair (maybe a lot of repair) we
could all have the bodies of healthy 20 year olds.    Sounds good to me (I
am 60)

Perhaps the Stem Cell research will have to include some planned
obsolescence of a critical organ which, at some defined time, will fail
catastrophically and we will drop off the twig.    It would certainly
eliminate a lot of the pain and suffering which many people have to go
through at present.

 I recently read a book called "Walking" by Casey Meyers who said that his
goal was to live a healthy life until he was 99 and then walk to the Funeral
Parlour and drop dead on the doorstep.    What a way to go!

Unfortunately some of the right-to-life people seem to see something noble
in pain and suffering and how anyone could promote (as I believe Sen
Brownback has) of a bill which would promote people living with a very poor
quality of life drugged to the eyeballs is beyond me.    Does he have a
vested interest in a drug company?

I will now crawl back into my shell again.

Cheers
Roger Evans