If scientists followed your path and had the same apprehensions you
have, the field of science would be totally bereft.  Advances of science
are usually accompanied by nefarious or misguided uses of new
discoveries.  For instance, the discovery of penicillin was indeed a
boon to mankind, but its abuses have and are leading to new intractable
and resistant bacteria.  More recently, the non government guidelines
issued at the Asilomar Conference  well over a generation ago with
respect to recombinant DNA which were followed by those from NIH, have
been successfully observed thus far, and as far as we know, no
Frankenstein monster has been created.  A great many scientists today
follow the teachings of their Good Book  and still pursue research to
find answers to their quests. I have lived in war torn lands and I still
believe in the goodness of good government elected by the people rather
than from a few large corporate endowments.