Yesterday, I went through all my files on this issue, and by now am very
confused. There are a lot of contradictions in news reports on exactly
what the guidelines and the postponement S.2015 mean. I hope someone can
clarify this so we are all talking and writing about the same issues. I
am sending a copy of this to Mike Claeys, and hoping he can offer
informatioon and guidance.

From what I read I believe the NIH guidelines permiting stem cell
research are still in force. There are about 15 pages of guidelines that
must be adherred to for NIH funding. The full guidelines are at:
http://www.nih.gov/news/stemcell/stemcellguidelines.htm
From the guidelines:
          2. Conditions for the Utilization of Human Pluripotent
          Stem Cells Derived From Human Embryos

          Studies utilizing pluripotent stem cells derived from
          human embryos may be conducted using NIH funds only if
          the cells were derived (without Federal funds) from
          human embryos that were created for the purposes of
          fertility treatment and were in excess of the clinical
          need of the individuals seeking such treatment.

A Washington Post article stated, "  The new guidelines forbid the use of
federal funds to destroy human embryos directly, but they permit federal
research on stem cells taken  from embryos by privately financed
researchers. "

S.2015, Senator Specter's and Harkin's bill would have allowed
researchers to use federal funds both to harvest and experiment with the
cells and also establish guidelines for their use. Debate and voting on
this bill has been postponed until the next session of Congress.

My questions:
1. Is the NIH still able to fund stem cell research under the current
guidelines?
2. In what way could these guidelines be changed - is it possible for the
next President or Congress impose a new ban on NIH funding?
3. How will the postponment of S. 2015 affect current NIH funding?
4. What can those supporting stem cell research do at this point?