Timothy Foley wrote:
> If anyone needs my help please
> email me, I am a pharmacist and my wife is a nurse. I was
> diagnosed this February with a rapid progressive YOPD.

Tim, I have a question for you as an RPh. Dietitians are
greatly concerned with unintended weight loss, and for
several years I have been researching the etiologies of UWL
among people with PD. It appears to be multifactorial in
many cases. At any rate, it is certainly debilitating and
raises the risk for fractures, malnutrition, pressure
ulcers, and other concerns. I would like to know if Oxandrin
could be helpful for UWL in PD. I have telephoned the
Oxandrin headquarters and spoken at great length to a
pharmacist there, who relayed my concerns to a physician.
Oxandrin has been mainly used in other areas, such as
HIV/AIDS; the physician stated that anecdotally it had been
used for a few people with PD, and there appeared to be some
benefit.

That is helpful, but I'm wondering if you have any thoughts
you would like to add. I can't locate any information on the
effects of a steroid medication for a person with a CNS
disorder. If you have any thoughts, concerns, or information
in this area, I would be very grateful.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/