Dear Bonnie,
Thick-It should be used on the advice of a speech-language
pathologist, following a swallowing evaluation. If your
father seems to choke, or feels that he is choking, he
should be referred to a speech-language pathologist by his
physician for a swallow evaluation. This is very important,
because some people with PD can aspirate food or liquids
into the lungs and develop pneumonia. Some can even aspirate
saliva without realizing it; this is called "silent
aspiration."

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease"
     & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease,"
     J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/