Dear Bob,

It appears you have an uncomfortable dilemma on your hands, with which only
you can make peace:

you wrote:

...I am pro-life and I believe that once conception has occurred, a human
embryo/fetus is a
human being....
...I do not object to stem cell research.  What I object to is the casual
"discarding" of human beings.  I do not oppose IVF, either, but the
practice of "discarding" the embryos bothers the h*ll out of me for
the reasons stated above....

What should be done with the remaining embryos after IVF that would bring
some comfort level to the dilemma above;
given that there will be excess embryos after IVF, and given that you favor
IVF, and given you are not against stem-cell research, but are against stem
cells being extracted from excess embryos with donor permission after IVF,
and given they will be discarded and incinerated without the
donor's/"parents'" permission, and  given IVF will not be done away with?

In my view, the ones being used for stem cells are not discarded, but rescued
or salvaged to mend or save lives, just as donated organs are. Stem cells are
already being used this way. I'm especially comfortable with this, because
they were not created to be harvested for donation; they are left over as a
consequence of bringing a child into the world.    I feel the ones that are
not donated are sinfully and shamefully going to waste.  This, for me, brings
great comfort and peace.

Peace,

Charlotte Mancuso